Industrial Action

Skip to Content

Estranged from Parents

To qualify for this funding, you must be able to prove you are officially estranged from your parents. Being estranged means you are no longer in contact with your parents and there is a permanent and irrevocable breakdown in your relationship.

Students who are estranged from their parents may, at the College’s discretion, be exempt from providing income details for their parents.  However, the College must be satisfied that the student’s relationship with their parents has broken down and they cannot be supported by them.  The onus is on the student to provide documentary evidence from a reputable source. If you can prove this status, you could receive a potential award of:

  • Bursary Maintenance of £125.55 per week
  • Travel Award*
  • Study Expenses
  • Tuition Fees

This award is not means tested.

Please note: if you are over 18 and in receipt of Income Support up to the age of 20 years old you may qualify for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

Documents Required

It is vitally important that you provide the correct documents so you can be assessed for the correct award. 

To apply for funding, please provide the following documents:


  • Birth Certificate or Passport

Student Income:

  • Wage slip/ Benefit award 

Student Estrangement (for example):

  • Letter from Social Work or a similar Public Body detailing estrangement 
  • Letter from School Guidance or Head Teacher

Proof of Living Circumstances:

  • i.e. Council Tax Notice, Bank Details

Bank Details:

  • Current account details


*Travel Award

National Entitlement Card Scheme - Young Person's Free Bus Travel (all under 22 year olds)

All students under the age of 22 years are now entitled to apply for free bus travel. Find out more and apply for the young persons free bus travel scheme.