Our online payment system is currently down

Skip to Content


If you are in receipt of benefits, you should contact your local Citizens Advice Office for advice on whether you can continue to claim while studying on your course.

Full-time students are not normally entitled to receive benefits, however, there are some exceptions.

Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Students on full time courses cannot claim JSA and you should apply for Bursary for support.

Universal Credit (UC)

Students may continue to get UC depending on their circumstances and would receive £28 per week from Bursary maintenance.

Income Support

If you are a lone parent and your youngest child is under 5 years old, you will be assessed for travel and course expenses only.

Carers Allowance

Students cannot claim Carers Allowance and study full time. You will need to provide a cease date of your claim to be awarded Bursary maintenance.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Some students can continue to claim ESA, you will be awarded travel and course expenses until you provide a cease date of your claim.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If you qualify for DLA this claim will continue although if you receive DLA Mobility you will not qualify for travel expenses.

Please note: partners of full-time students who are not students themselves can qualify for DWP Benefits as a couple and the Bursary Award will be for travel and course expenses only.