- Anniesland Campus
- SCQF Level
- SCQF Credit Points
Do you have an interest in the games industry? This introductory qualification is designed to teach you how to write computer games.
This course consists of three topics: media assets, design and development. The media assets part of the award focuses on finding and capturing digital media that could be used within a game, such as sounds, images and videos, and customising these assets to fit into a game. The design part of the award focuses on creating a plan for the development of a computer game. The development part of the award focuses on writing code to actually produce the game.
In this course you will:
- Research various games types and platforms and discover what makes a game playable
- What components make up games and what is required for different playing platforms
- Design a game based on your understanding so far
- Create a set of objects to be used in the development of a game including characters, backgrounds and sounds
- Further design your game to include behaviours designed to enhance game play
- Create a playable game and publish on the internet
You will be studying a National Progression Award in Computer Games Development (GP03 45). This award consists of three mandatory units.
Units You Will Study:
- Computer games: Design
- Computer games: Media assets
- Computer games: Development
What are some of the skills I will develop?
- Computer programming skills
- Computational thinking skills
- Work effectively with others
- Problem solving
You must have a clear interest in gaming and:
- National 4 Maths and/or English
Target Year Group S5 and S6
You will attend college on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons 13:30 – 16:00
After successful completion of this course, along with good attendance and proven commitment, you will be given the opportunity of internal progression on to one of the following courses within Glasgow Clyde College. You might go on to:
- NPA Computer Games Development SCQF Level 6
- NC Digital Media Computing at SCQF Level 6
- NPA in Digital Media Production at SCQF Level 6
The entry point (level you would study) would be dependent on the level and relevance of your other qualifications.
How to Apply
When you click on the Apply button you will be redirected to create an application account for your chosen Senior Phase course.
- Use a personal email address and ensure your password is something that you will remember.
- You will receive an email asking you to confirm your account. This will take you to the application form.
- you will receive a link to the application portal within each email you receive - please use this link to track your application