- Skills for Work
- Anniesland Campus
- SCQF Level
- SCQF Credit Points
Are you currently working in school at National 5 level or above? Are you interested in working with children aged 0-12 years? Are you are interested in a career in the following areas;
- Child development officer
- Early year’s practitioner
- Play worker
- Play assistant
- Primary teaching
By studying this course you will be given an introduction to the basic knowledge and skills required to prepare you for further study leading to potential employment in the Early Education and Childcare sector. The skills for work course is designed as an Introduction to Early Education and Childcare at National 5 level and will help you understand some of the demands and responsibilities for working in this sector.
Skills for Work: Early Education and Childcare (C783 75) - SCQF Level 5. This course consists of four units at National 5. Please note that there is no placement attached to this course.
- Development and wellbeing of children and young people
- Play in early learning and childcare
- Working in early learning and childcare
You will also complete one optional unit which will be chosen by the college:
- Contemporary families
- Introduction to First Aid
- Children and young people: Rights and protection
What are some of the skills I will develop?
- Demonstrating a responsible attitude in all aspects of working with children
- Maintaining an organised and safe environment
- Health, safety and security awareness
- Communication skills
- Work effectively with others
It is envisaged that you will have clear interest in the subject area.
You must have:
- National 5 English
Target Year Group S5 and S6
You will attend college on a Tuesday and Thursday afternoon 13:30 – 16:00
After successful completion of this course, you will be offered the opportunity of internal progression within Glasgow Clyde College. Depending on your attendance, commitment, and achievement you would potentially gain a place on:
- A one-year full time National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ) in Early Education and Childcare at a local college of further Education. NQ Play work and Childcare.
You might also go on to do:
- A one-year full time higher education course, such as a Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Early Education and Childcare.
The entry point (level you would study) would be dependent on the level and relevance of your other qualifications.
Employment Routes / Job Areas
- Child Development Assistant (Modern Apprenticeship)
- Playworker (following additional qualfications)
- Child Development Officer (following additional qualifications)
How to Apply
When you click on the Apply button you will be redirected to create an application account for your chosen Senior Phase course.
- Use a personal email address and ensure your password is something that you will remember.
- You will receive an email asking you to confirm your account. This will take you to the application form.
- you will receive a link to the application portal within each email you receive - please use this link to track your application