Creative ideas are at the heart of our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course. Through sketchbook work, and following the design process on different briefs, you will gain an introduction to the practice of graphic design.
What will I learn?
On the course, we cover units involving the study of typography, digital imaging, packaging, advertising, illustration and magazine design. This year long course provides an ideal foundation for those who wish to progress to the HNC/D Visual Communication Graphic Design for Print & New Media. If you are interested in studying an art based subject, our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course could be the perfect choice.
For examples of our student work, and our blog, visit:
- Label and Packaging Design
- Sketchbook Development
- Software Skills
- Magazine Design
- Digital Media
- Corporate Identity
- Design Project
Employer and industry links
We teach sketchbook development as a fundamental tool for creative thinking essential for progression onto HND level study. Our course gives you the ability to visually articulate your designs: this is the foundation of visual communication and progression to further study and possible employment.
As a student on our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course we teach you all the relevant industrial software commensurate with progression to HND level study.
All Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration students are well schooled in the basics of Graphic Design and Illustration; a key driver for applications to HND/Degree graphic design/illustration specific programmes and possible employment. We also pay significant attention to the application of appropriate software and terminology, which reinforces the learning and understanding, again commensurate with further study or possible employment.
Jobs and further study
Progression from Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration to HNC/HND is dependent on suitable progression through course work as well as satisfactory attendance, timekeeping and commitment.
- HNC/HND Graphic Design
- HNC/HND Illustration
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Two Intermediate 2 or Credit Level Standard Grades, which must include English and Art / Graphic Communication OR
- Two National 5 qualifications, which must include English and Art /Graphic Communication.
- Suitable academic reference detailing creative ability, timekeeping and attendance.
- A personal statement is key to supporting a successful application.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be by assessment of qualifications and references submitted.
- Successful applicants will be given an acceptance conditional on attending an information session at which they will need to provide proof of qualifications.
- Conditional offers will be made within 3 weeks of receipt of application.
- Unconditional offers will be made following attendance at information session, provided that all conditions have been met.
- Once an offer is received you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
- If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
- Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information e.g. student funding, joining instructions, kit list, induction date.