- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 28 Aug 2023
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications open January 2024
Creative ideas are at the heart of our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course. Through sketchbook development, and following the design process on a variety of briefs, you will gain an introduction to the practices of Graphic Design and Illustration.
What will I learn?
During the graphic design foundation course, you will cover units involving the study of typography, children’s book illustration, digital imaging, packaging, illustration, magazine design, photography and screen printing. This year-long course provides an ideal foundation for those who wish to progress to either HNC/D Graphic Design or HND Illustration. If you are interested in studying an art-based subject, our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course could be the perfect choice.
- Label and packaging design
- Sketchbook development
- Software skills
- Children’s book illustration
- Magazine design
- Digital media
- Animation: First steps
- Photography: Digital imaging
- Corporate identity
- Design project
For examples of our student work, and our blog, visit:
Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration Instagram
HND Illustration Instagram
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Two National 5 qualifications, which must include English and Art/Graphic Communication; OR
- Two Intermediate 2 or Credit Level Standard Grades, which must include English and Art/Graphic Communication.
- A personal statement (on the application) is key to supporting a successful application.
Where there are no formal entry qualifications, candidates will be required to present examples of their own creative work as part of the interview process.
- A personal statement is mandatory to support a successful application/interview for route 2 applicants.
If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
We teach sketchbook development as a fundamental tool for creative thinking which we consider essential for successful progression onto HND-level study. Our course gives you the ability to visually articulate your designs and illustrations: this is the foundation of visual communication and progression to further study and career aspirations.
As a valued student on our Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration course, we teach you all the relevant industrial software commensurate with progression to HND level study through dedicated experienced design practitioners.
All Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration students are well schooled in the basics of Graphic Design and Illustration; a key driver for applying to HND/Degree graphic design/illustration specific program and career aspirations. We also pay significant attention to the application of appropriate software and terminology, which reinforces the learning and understanding, again commensurate with further study or possible employment.
Jobs and further study
Progression from Foundation in Graphic Design and Illustration to HNC/HND is dependent on suitable progression through course work as well as satisfactory attendance, timekeeping and commitment.
- HNC/HND Graphic Design
- HNC/HND Illustration
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application (remember to check your SPAM/junk folder if you do not hear from us). We will be in contact as per the following stages:
- If you meet the entry requirements (Route One) you will be invited to an online interview. (This will be virtual on Microsoft Teams so you will have to download the apps) Interviews will take place between 9:30 –11:30am and 1.00 – 3.00pm between February and May 2023. You will also be required to show evidence of drawing and design work.
- You will be informed by email within two weeks of the interview whether you have been successful in achieving either a conditional or an unconditional place on the course. Once you receive your offer you should reply within 14 days or risk losing your place.
- Successful applicants will be asked to attend a warm-up session in May / June where you will get further information on student funding, joining instructions and induction dates.