- Langside Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 26 Aug 2019
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications for this course are now closed
This is a unique HNC Art and Design course, where staff work in collaboration with the Glasgow School of Art through an Associate Student Scheme. The Associate Scheme offers a programme of activity to help support eligible HNC students on their applications to and readiness for Year 2 of a range of programmes at the GSA.
What will I learn?
This is a fast-paced art and design course with creative abstract thinking at its core. The teaching environment is ideal for anyone looking to build a portfolio for art school.
Throughout this HNC course, you will work on your own portfolio. Tutor support is offered on a one-to-one basis.
The course content is delivered by a team of established artists and designers and covers drawing, painting, 2D design and 3D work, which is ideal if you are unsure what area best suits your skills.
You will be taken to open days and exhibitions, given assistance with the UCAS university application process, and helped to prepare for your art school interview and submission of your portfolio.
An optional summer school will be offered to successful candidates in August, in conjunction with House for an Art Lover.
The course also includes:
- Design Process
- 3D construction
- Art and Design Context
- Mixed Media
Life drawing is an important additional element and this is provided by the College at a reduced cost.
Please click on the following links to see samples of student work:
Employer and industry links
We have well established links with professional Artist and Designers who deliver prestige’s workshops for all our courses. You will also have the opportunity to participate in live industry projects - recent projects include Ice Cream Architecture and House for an Art Lover.
Jobs and further study
This course is ideal if you're looking to progress to either HND or degree-level study.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Three SQA Higher passes, preferably including Art and English, plus a strong portfolio of work; OR
- Level 3 Diploma Art & Design; OR
- NQ in an art or design related area, plus a very strong portfolio of work
- Applications are also invited from those without formal qualifications but who have relevant life and/or work experience.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application, and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You will be invited to attend an interview. Please bring along your portfolio, qualifications and references.
- Proof of qualifications must be supplied before an offer can be made.
- You will be interviewed within one month after the applications.
- Your will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by email within 10 working days of the interview.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be invited to a Summer Briefing and end of year Exhibition. You will be sent further information on student funding, joining instructions and induction date.