- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date & time
- 17 Aug 2021 @ 6 - 9pm
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to May)
COURSE FULLY BOOKED
The SQA Higher Chemistry aims to extends your knowledge and understanding of the physical and natural environments, through a wide range of studies including chemical reaction rates, enthalpy and patterns in the Periodic Table.
Please note: This course will take place at Cardonald Campus
What will I learn?
If English is not your first language, for study at SCQF Level 6 you must be able to demonstrate English language skills at that level (e.g. SQA Higher level or IELTS 6).
The course develops greater knowledge of bonding, structure and properties, and of the mole, and enables you to acquire an enhanced understanding of:
- carbon compound reactions
- nomenclature and structural formulae
- of polymers and natural products.
You will also study:
- Hess’s Law
- acids and bases
- redox reactions
- nuclear chemistry.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- For study of Higher Chemistry, we require either an A or B pass at National 5, or equivalent, in Chemistry.
- Due to the high level of challenge presented by National Courses, and the significant demand for this programme, please note that the above represents minimum entry requirements. Our selection processes will also take into account the breadth of subjects studied previously.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
Academic staff will read and check your application form. It is therefore important that you complete the current qualification and personal statement section fully. This will take up to 4 weeks from the date of application and all applications are dealt with in the order in which they are received.
You will then receive one of the following:
- An offer of a place on the course. This is subject to payment of the course fee.
- A conditional offer. This will usually be as you are waiting on exam results. In this case we will ask you to pay the fee but this will be refunded should you fail to meet the condition of your offer.
- No offer. Feedback on the reason you have not been accepted can be provided on request.
Successful application will be sent joining information. Enrolment usually takes place on the first night of the course.
The cost of this course is £495. You may wish to look at help with funding, in particular an individual training account. Further information and eligibility criteria can be found on: Individual Training Account ITA