Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver Course (Level 5) (online)
This Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver online course provides you with the knowledge and skills to support professional development as a taxi or private hire driver. You will have 6 months from when your course begins to undertake all required assessments. It also meets the requirements which have been legislated by Glasgow City Council for all taxi and private hire drivers with a licence in the city. This is a requirement for anyone wishing to seek a licence in Glasgow. This qualification will help drivers to meet and adapt to the challenges they face on a daily basis.
What will I learn?
The Certificate in Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver at SCQF level 5 develops essential knowledge through the nine mandatory units:
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Safely Transport Passengers
- Professional Customer Service
- Maintain the Safety of the Licensed Vehicle
- Mobility and Wheelchair Assistance
- Plan Routes and Fares
- Transport Luggage and Parcels
- Safely Transport School Age Children
- The Licensing Regulations (Scotland)
This is an online learning course accessed via an online portal and you will work through it at your own pace. All units must be completed online within 6 months to allow you to access the final assessments. Assessments will take place at the College and will be ongoing throughout the year. Once all nine online assessments and the practical assessment, have been completed successfully, you will be certificated.
Start Dates for Induction Sessions:
Induction dates are now being offered on Thursday evenings, 6 - 9pm, at our Anniesland Campus. You will only be required to attend one Induction session.
If you have further needs in English, numeracy and literacy skills before undertaking this course, the College will be offering additional courses, subject to demand, relating to these subjects. These courses will incur a separate fee.
Please confirm with the licencing board which type of licence you require before securing your place on the course. Once you have enrolled and attended the induction, we cannot guarantee a refund if you decide to not continue with the course.
For any queries regarding licencing or applications, please contact the licencing department at Glasgow City Council by phone on 0141 287 5354 or email LicencingBoard@Glasgow.gov.uk
Entry requirements (minimum)
- No prior qualifications or knowledge are required to undertake this qualification
- You must be over 18 and have held a clean driving licence for at least one year.
- You must not be currently registered with another provider to undertake this qualification with Glasgow Clyde College
- Please confirm with the licencing board which type of licence you require before securing your place on the course. Once you have enrolled and attended the induction, we cannot guarantee a refund if you decide to not continue with the course.
Employer and industry links
This qualification is suitable for individuals who are:
- Currently a taxi or private hire driver
- Wishing to become a taxi or private hire driver
- Aspiring to run a taxi or private hire business in the future