Certificate in Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver (Level 5)
- Langside Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date & time
- Various start dates
- Qualification Type
- Other non-advanced qual
- Course Type
This course provides you with the knowledge and skills to support professional development as a taxi or private hire driver. it also meets the requirements which have been legislated by Glasgow City Council for all taxi and private hire drivers with a licence in the city. This is a requirement for anyone wishing to seek a licence in Glasgow. This qualification will help drivers to meet and adapt to the challenges they face on a daily basis.
What will I learn?
The Certificate in Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver at SCQF level 5 develops essential knowledge in the following areas:
- health and safety in the taxi work environment
- vehicle maintenance and safety inspections
- routes and fares
- safely transporting passengers, luggage and parcels
- providing a professional customer service, and
- an understanding of relevant licensing regulations that relate to the operation of taxi and private hire operations in Scotland
Candidates will also develop the skills necessary to support passengers who require mobility assistance or use of a wheelchair.
This is a flexible learning course. You will access course content via an online portal and work through it at your own pace. All units must be completed online to allow you to access the assessment at the end of each unit. Assessments will take place at the College and will be ongoing throughout the year. Once all nine assessments, including the practical assessment, have been completed successfully, you will be certificated.
To coincide with this course the College will offer an induction session for those who wish further information with regards to accessing online material and further course support.
If you have further needs in English, numeracy and literacy skills before undertaking this course, the College will be offering additional courses, subject to demand, relating to these subjects. These courses will incur a separate fee.
Start Dates for Induction Sessions:
We will organise and advertise induction dates for this course once we have a clearer picture of an official start date.
The nine mandatory units are as follows:
- Taxi and Private Hire: Workplace Health and Safety
- Taxi and Private Hire: Safely Transport Passengers
- Taxi and Private Hire: Professional Customer Service
- Taxi and Private Hire: Maintain the Safety of the Licensed Vehicle
- Taxi and Private Hire: Mobility and Wheelchair Assistance
- Taxi and Private Hire: Plan Routes and Fares
- Taxi and Private Hire: Transport Luggage and Parcels
- Taxi and Private Hire: Safely Transport School Age Children
- Taxi and Private Hire: The Licensing Regulations (Scotland)
Entry requirements (minimum)
No prior qualifications or knowledge are required to undertake this qualification, although typically you will be over 18 and have held a driving licence for one year.
Employer and industry links
This qualification is suitable for individuals who are:
- currently a taxi or private hire driver
- wishing to become a taxi or private hire driver
- aspiring to run a taxi or private hire business in the future