- Cardonald Campus
- Start Date
- 24 Aug 2020
- Qualification Type
- Other non-advanced qual
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications for this course are temporarily on hold.
This Pre apprenticeship Plumbing Installation course will give you the essential knowledge and skills required to work in the plumbing industry. As a result we work with a number of employers who recruit directly from this exciting course.
What will I learn?
- Health and safety in building services
- Electrical principles and processes for building services engineering
- Scientific principles for domestic, industrial and commercial plumbing
- Common plumbing processes: cold water systems / domestic hot water systems
- Central heating systems
- Drainage systems
- How to communicate with others within building services engineering
Employer and industry links
We work with SNIPEF, the industry body and are approached by employers wishing to give work experience to students leading to them gaining apprenticeships.
Jobs and further study
Opportunities exist for successful students to progress to:
- Plumbing apprenticeships
- NC Building Services
- NC Construction
Entry requirements (minimum)
- National 4 or equivalent, in Craft and Design, or a relevant practical subject such as Skills for Work, Woodwork or Practical Craft Skills, and
- National 4 or equivalent, in Maths and English are desirable
- We will consider your application if you have relevant experience but no formal qualifications
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and we will be in contact as per the following stages:
- you will be invited to attend an interview and skills test from April onwards. Please bring your qualifications and photographic identification with you to the interview.
- skills test to assess your ability to measure, cut and assemble pipework
- selection will be by Interview and skills test
- reference must be supplied before an interview can take place.
You will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by email within 10 working days of the interview. There are four possible outcomes:
- unconditional offer: you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed
- conditional offer: your place is secured pending meeting the entry requirements
- waiting list: you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted usually around about the course start date.
- unsuccessful: you have not met the entry criteria or did not achieve necessary level at the skills test. You can contact the Student Advisory Team o discuss alternative options.
Once an offer is received, you must respond within 10 working days or you risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further details, such as start date, induction date and funding information.