- Langside Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 28 Aug 2023
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
SQA Higher ESOL is for students whose first language is not English. You will have already developed English language abilities in reading, writing, listening, and speaking to an upper intermediate level. This course is for Advanced level learners and will lead to the qualification of Higher ESOL.
What will I learn?
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses help you to improve your Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking skills in English.
Our courses prepare you for the Higher ESOL exam which can lead to entry to further study and getting a job.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- SQA National 5 ESOL at Grade A or B (or equivalent level qualification).
- Alternatively, you may be asked to take a Reading and Writing Entry Test.
Note that the personal statement section of the application form is an important part of our selection process and must be completed.
Applications that do not include a personal statement or qualification details are automatically rejected.
Employer and industry links
This course primarily provides access to further study although will enhance employment prospects in a wide range of areas.
Jobs and further study
Higher ESOL is accepted by most Undergraduate and Post-graduate courses at university and HNC courses at college.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
I've applied — what happens next?
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- We will check your qualifications in relation to ESOL and you will receive one of the following:
- An unconditional offer (if in possession of A or B pass at SQA National 5/equivalent)
- A conditional offer (based on results pending or based on a short entry test). Please note it is your responsibility to ensure you notify us if you have met your conditions within 5 days of SQA results being published.
- An invitation to interview
- A rejection