- Anniesland Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications to this course are now closed.
NQ Professional Cookery (Level 6) will take your culinary skills to a more advanced level. It focuses on practical skills, food production and presentation.
What will I learn?
- Professional cookery - practical
- Creative cookery 1
- Creative cookery 2
- Meat and poultry 1
- Meat and poultry 2
- Silver service
- Working in a professional kitchen - partie system
- Organisation of practical skills
- Foods of the world
- Cake finishing
- Additional cooking and hospitality related units.
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- NQ General Catering or equivalent qualification
- Sufficient relevant experience gained in industry
- Practical skills test element to interview
- Entry will be by interview to determine if you are suitable for this course
- References on request.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
You will have the opportunity to gain part-time employment while attending college through our links to industry.
After successfully completing this course, 60% of students move onto higher education with the remaining 40% gaining employment within the industry.
Jobs and further study
- HND Hospitality
- Employment within the hospitality industry.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- If you meet the entry requirements or have qualifications pending you will then be invited in for an interview
- Interviews will take place from February and may continue until the course starts in August
- When you attend the interview you must bring a copy of your qualifications and, if requested, your reference/s
- If references are requested, the college’s admissions department will email you an electronic version of the reference form. Please print this and ask your referee to complete it before bringing it along to your interview along with a copy of your relevant proof of entry qualifications.
- If you are unable to bring these documents to the interview you will be unable to be offered an unconditional offer.
The interview will take the form of a group interview with up to 10 other applicants. During the interview, you will hear more information about the course and have a chance to ask any questions you may have.
After you have attended your interview, you will be informed of the outcome of your interview by email within 1–2 weeks. The outcome would be one of the following:
- unconditional place – you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your place.
- conditional place – your place is secured pending you meeting the entry requirements. This may mean achieving school or college qualification which you may not be able to provide us until August. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your conditional place.
- waiting list – you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted usually around about the course start date.
- unsuccessful – you have not met the entry requirements for this course and are advised to contact the Student Advice Centre to discuss alternative options which may be available to you.
Once you have accepted your offer you will be sent out instructions about student funding. This will normally be sent out within three weeks of you accepting the place.
You will also be sent details on an information day. This normally takes place in June and will give you the chance to meet other students on your course, get a tour of the college, meet some ex-students and get a chance to speak to people from industry.
You will then be sent out information about the induction date. This will take place in August 2–3 weeks prior to your course starting.