HND Beauty Therapy Year 1
- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 Years (August to June)
Applications to this course are now closed.
HND Beauty Therapy runs over two years and is designed to provide you with knowledge of current beauty treatments. This is a well-established, recognised qualification understood and well-respected by employers in the occupational area.
The successful completion of Year 1 of this course will allow the college to award you a HNC certificate, if you opt not to complete the full diploma.
What will I learn?
Year 1 will allow you to enhance good manual skills, an introduction to salon equipment and have the ability to carry out all standard treatments in beauty therapy.
In year 2, you will focus on developing competence in the use of advanced facial techniques such as cosmetic peels and skin needling, advanced massage techniques and spa treatments.
- Face and body treatment packages
- Professional salon skills
- Advanced facial and body techniques
- Promotional and selling skills
- Product knowledge
- Lifestyle advice for clients
- Signature massage techniques
- Beauty therapy: graded unit 1
- Beauty therapy: graded unit 2
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Eyebrow artistry
- Plus a further range of HND Beauty Therapy units.
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Aged 16 years or over before course start date AND
- NC/NQ Level 6 Beauty Care or
- SVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy or
- Access to Higher National Beauty Therapy
- 2 Highers at C grade or above, one of which must be English will also be considered for entry at our Langside Campus only.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
Opportunities are available for external industrial training from prestigious brands such as Ishga and Thalgo face and body skincare and Gerrards Mii Make-up.
Work experience opportunities are available within esteemed Spas such as The Carrick at Cameron House, the Blythswood Spa, Glasgow and Beauty with a Conscience on Battlefield Road, adjacent to the Langside Campus.
- BSc (Hons) Integrative Health Care accredited by the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI).
Jobs and further study
Employment within the beauty industry, spas, cruise ships, teaching or training.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
Stage 1: Information Session
You will be invited to attend a 1-hour information session on Microsoft Teams, which covers:
- course content
- a virtual tour will be scheduled.
You are required to supply:
- proof of qualifications held or pending (for example if still studying Level 6 Beauty Care). These should be emailed to email@example.com
Only applicants who supply these items will move on to next stage.
Stage 2: Interview Session
You will to attend an interview session on Microsoft Teams.
Only those applicants who are successful at interview will be offered a place.
Successful applicants will be offered:
- a conditional place (if awaiting qualifications) or
- an unconditional place.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information, for example student funding, joining instructions, induction date.