Travel and Tourism
"Please thank all of the staff for their hard work in helping me achieve the HNC last year. I really enjoyed my time at the college and still can't quite believe I walked away with a job I love at the end of the year!" That’s an email from one of our students – and it’s something we hear a lot.
Why you should consider a career in tourism? - Some Key Facts
- There are new employment opportunities on the ground and in the air at Glasgow Airport with Jet2 expanding to almost 100 flights a week during peak periods next summer. Glasgow is also the only Scottish Airport to host world’s largest commercial aircraft with Emirates now flying the Airbus A380 twice a day to Dubai
- Glasgow is a successful tourism destination, attracting over two million tourists per year, spending £482 million. On an annual basis, the city also attracts 20 million day visitors with an expenditure of approximately £1 billion. Source: Glasgow City Marketing
- For the sixth year running, Scotland has outperformed the rest of the UK in attracting visitors to its tourist attractions. Edinburgh is the top UK destination outside London - but the whole country is benefiting from a tourism renaissance. Source: BBC News
Tourism is one of the largest and fastest growing industries in Scotland and demand for qualified staff is only going to increase. So if you fancy working as cabin crew, at airport check-in, in a travel agent or overseas as a holiday rep then Glasgow Clyde College has the course to help you land your dream job.
Courses on offer
- Check-In to Travel and Tourism (Level 4)
- Cabin Crew Operations (Level 5)
- Take-Off to Travel and Tourism (Level 5)
- International Travel and Airport Operations (Level 6)
- HND Travel and Tourism
We have great links with the travel industry and our students getting jobs with airlines, at the airport, in travel agents or as tour operators. We have lecturers with up to date industry experience and use the latest software to make sure you are fully prepared to enter the workplace. Our courses offer some great work experience opportunities – in fact often when students do well on their placements they end up being offered employment. Many of our students progress directly into the 3rd year of Tourism Management courses at Glasgow Caledonian University or University of The West of Scotland
Our Travel and Tourism courses tend to be very popular and fill up quickly so you should apply as soon as possible.
The tenth annual Glasgow Clyde College Graduation and Awards Ceremony took place on Saturday 4 November in the splendour of the University of Glasgow’s Bute Hall.
Glasgow Clyde College is enjoying a strong uplift in student recruitment, with an additional 200 full-time students who have embarked on full-time courses from August 2023, compared to 2022 - that’s despite at 10% cut to courses nationally.
The University of Glasgow and Glasgow Clyde College have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in a bid to work closer on ambitious projects to boost productivity, growth and inclusion across the region.