Travel and Tourism
"Please thank all of the staff for their hard work in helping me achieve the HNC last year. I really enjoyed my time at the college and still can't quite believe I walked away with a job I love at the end of the year!" That’s an email from one of our students – and it’s something we hear a lot.
Why you should consider a career in tourism? - Some Key Facts
- There are new employment opportunities on the ground and in the air at Glasgow Airport with Jet2 expanding to almost 100 flights a week during peak periods next summer. Glasgow is also the only Scottish Airport to host world’s largest commercial aircraft with Emirates now flying the Airbus A380 twice a day to Dubai
- Glasgow is a successful tourism destination, attracting over two million tourists per year, spending £482 million. On an annual basis, the city also attracts 20 million day visitors with an expenditure of approximately £1 billion. Source: Glasgow City Marketing
- For the sixth year running, Scotland has outperformed the rest of the UK in attracting visitors to its tourist attractions. Edinburgh is the top UK destination outside London - but the whole country is benefiting from a tourism renaissance. Source: BBC News
Tourism is one of the largest and fastest growing industries in Scotland and demand for qualified staff is only going to increase. So if you fancy working as cabin crew, at airport check-in, in a travel agent or overseas as a holiday rep then Glasgow Clyde College has the course to help you land your dream job.
Courses on offer
- Check-In to Travel and Tourism (Level 4)
- Cabin Crew Operations (Level 5)
- Take-Off to Travel and Tourism (Level 5)
- International Travel and Airport Operations (Level 6)
- HND Travel and Tourism
We have great links with the travel industry and our students getting jobs with airlines, at the airport, in travel agents or as tour operators. We have lecturers with up to date industry experience and use the latest software to make sure you are fully prepared to enter the workplace. Our courses offer some great work experience opportunities – in fact often when students do well on their placements they end up being offered employment. Many of our students progress directly into the 3rd year of Tourism Management courses at Glasgow Caledonian University or University of The West of Scotland
Our Travel and Tourism courses tend to be very popular and fill up quickly so you should apply as soon as possible.
Glasgow Clyde College has become Scotland’s first Further Education institution to obtain accreditation from Breastfeeding Friendly Scotland.
Glasgow Clyde College is offering a glimpse into the future by launching the UK’s first ever interactive metaverse Open Day - recreating Langside campus on Minecraft.
Scottish writer Chris McQueer launched a new swap library at Glasgow Clyde College as part of the Keep the Heid and Read campaign which promotes the benefits of books for mental health.