The HND Applied Biological Sciences is a two year course with a strong emphasis on the laboratory work that complements the detailed study of scientific theory. Students develop the skills required by a laboratory scientist or technician.
The course provides excellent preparation for employment in research and industrial laboratories; biotechnology, chemical, microbiological, pharmaceutical, and environmental industries.
Students can progress to a wide range of related university courses, for example, Biomedical Science degree programmes and employment have been popular options.
Students with the requisite units from HNC Applied Sciences would be considered for direct entry on to second year of this course.
What will I learn?
15 HN credits are covered in each year
- Statistics and maths
- Cell biology
- DNA and molecular techniques
- Genetics and DNA
- Human body structure and function
- Laboratory skills
- Graded Unit 1 (Research based project)
Employer and industry links
All our partner Universities have very strong links to Employment and Industry.
Many laboratory jobs are advertised with HND level as a minimum required qualification.
Jobs and further study
- Our students have progressed to a wide variety of programmes at Glasgow Caledonian University, The University of the West of Scotland, The University of Glasgow, Strathclyde University, Stirling University and other Institutions throughout the country
- You will have the potential to move on to science jobs in NHS biomedical laboratories, research and industrial laboratories, biotechnology, chemical, microbiological, pharmaceutical, and environmental industries.
Entry requirements (minimum)
Year 1 Entry requirements (minimum)
- Successful completion of a NQ/NC Science course at Level 6, or
- Two Highers, or equivalent, in Biology or Human Biology AND Higher Chemistry at grade C or above AND National 5, or equivalent passes at A or B in Maths and English
- A Foundation Apprenticeship in Science will be considered alongside the entry requirements above.
- Other relevant work experience and skills will also be considered.
Year 2 Entry requirements
- Direct Year 2 entry is based on having completed an appropriate 15 credit HNC Applied Sciences. Please contact us to discuss further.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and we will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You will be invited to attend an interview. Please bring your qualifications, references and photographic identification with you.
- Interviews will take place from March through to June.
You will be informed of the outcome by email within 10 working days after the interview. There are four possible outcomes:
- Unconditional offer: you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed
- Conditional offer: your place is secured, pending meeting the entry requirements
- Waiting list: you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted.
- Unsuccessful: you have not met the entry criteria or did not meet the necessary level at the skills test. You can call the Student Advice Centre to discuss alternative options.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your first choice of campus, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within 10 working days.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further details such as start date, joining instruction, induction date and funding information.