- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 24 Aug 2020
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
This course is aimed at young people with additional support needs who are ready for employment or progression into subject-specific Further Education courses. It is ideal if you wish to gain work experience and develop your skills and qualities in the workplace.
In addition to placements, you will consolidate learning and prepare for future progression at college. You will attend college two days per week and take part in a work placement up to two days per week.
What will I learn?
When you attend classes at the College, you will develop and improve upon the skills and qualities that you will need for employment or future study and develop financial awareness to support independent living. In addition, you will develop resilience and coping strategies for the challenges ahead.
Please note, participating in a work placement is a mandatory element of the course.
- Money Management: Cost of living, budgeting, saving, debt management, salaries and deductions, discounts, data management
- Employability: Tailored CVs, personal statements, logbooks, application support, interview preparation
- Personal Development: Identifying skills and qualities, identifying goals and areas for development, presentations and confidence-building exercises, resilience and coping strategies, self-evaluation, future-planning
- Practical Skills: customer service, job roles and job sectors, skills for work
You will develop a personal learning and support plan to help suit your needs and ambitions.
You will receive practical help, during, and at the end of the course to help you decide on your progression route after the course.
You can apply for financial help in the form of a bursary.
Employer and industry links
During your time on the course you will take part in a work placement for up to two days a week with a local employer.
You will have the opportunity to visit local employers and a variety of different work environments
Jobs and further study
The course will prepare you for employment and give you a better chance of gaining employment.
You may have the potential to progress on to other courses at Glasgow Clyde College, including Project Search or subject-specific courses to gain further work-related qualifications.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- SQA qualifications at SCQF Level 3 in all subject areas
- you will have the ability to engage and participate at the level required for this course (as evidenced at the selection day)
- you will have the ability to work independently and with others
- you are willing to undertake a work experience placement for up to 2 days per week.
How to apply
To apply for this course, please complete an application form from the tab below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to:
Glasgow Clyde College
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application.
If you meet the entry criteria, you will be invited to attend a selection event, which may include a core skills profile and group activity.
Prior to the interview, you will be asked to provide proof of qualifications and a completed Individual Support Form.
Interviews will take place between February and June.
You be informed by post of the outcome of your selection event within fifteen working days.
Once an offer is received you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further details, such as funding information, joining instruction and induction date.
You will also be invited to attend an induction event, which will take place in