- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 21 Aug 2023
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- Short Full-Time
- 18 Weeks (August to January)
Applications are now closed.
This Pre-Apprenticeship Electrical Installation work programme is delivered at SCQF Level 5. The 18-week course is designed to produce a pool of prospective ‘apprentice' electricians ready and waiting to join the electrical contracting industry. We have links with many electrical contractors in the west of Scotland who interview those who successfully complete this course - with 80% of students from last year's programme gaining employment.
What will I learn?
- Fundamental electrical principles
- Basic electrical systems and protection
- Introduction to renewables
- Basic electrical installation skills
- Installation project
- Health and safety at work (appraisal gaining an ESC card)
- Computer-aided design
- Information technology
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Two National 5s, or equivalent in English and Maths or Physics. Please note that National 5 Applications of Maths or SCQF Level 5 Numeracy are not equivalent to National 5 Maths and will not be accepted.
- This course is aimed towards school leavers aged 16 to 19.
If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
This Pre-Apprentice course is linked to the electrical contracting industry via SECTT, (Scottish Electrical Charitable Training Trust) who oversee the training of every apprentice electrician in Scotland.
The SECTT training officer for Glasgow Clyde College liaises with electrical contractors in Glasgow, the west of Scotland and further afield including H.F. Group, A. Alexander & Son, Arthur MacKay, to name but a few.
Glasgow Clyde College initially piloted this programme and has 20 years of experience delivering the successful Pre-Apprentice Electrical Installation course. We have around 150 electrical contractors who regularly select prospective apprentices specifically from this course.
Statistics from SECTT currently show that 80% of Pre-Apprentice students who complete this course gain employment as apprentice electricians, and go on to become time-served tradespeople through continuous training at Glasgow Clyde College during their apprenticeship.
Jobs and further study
- Modern Apprenticeship in Electrical Installation (SVQ Level 3)
- HNC Electrical Engineering (HNC course designed for electricians who wish to further their understanding and prospects within the industry)
- SECTT statistics show that 80% of participating students gain employment from this course.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application (remember to check your junk/SPAM folder if you do not hear from us). We will be in contact as per the following stages:
- There will be a short interview to check qualifications, interviews will commence from Friday March 24th 2023.
- Selections decisions will be made at, or shortly after, the interview
- Applicants will be informed of decisions within one week of the interview
Once an offer is received you must reply within 14 days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information e.g. Student Funding, Joining Instructions, Kit List, Induction Date.