- Anniesland Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 Years (August to June)
Course now closed.
This computing course covers skills within Networking, Servers and Cyber. You will also have the opportunity to study towards Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), CompTIA A+ and Microsoft MCITP qualifications which are all highly desired by employers. The College also organises a series of networking competitions in preparation for World Skills and has specialist networking labs, with the latest Cisco equipment
What will I learn?
- Networking technology
- Firewall essentials
- Server administration
- Data security
- Ethical hacking
- Computing forensics
- Project management
- Graded unit project
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- One Higher and one National 5 (or equivalent) from Computing, Maths, IT, or Science, or
- A relevant NQ or equivalent qualification
- A suitable employer reference
- We will consider your application if you have relevant experience but no formal qualifications.
Direct entry to year two of the HND may be possible if you have a relevant HNC. Please contact the faculty directly via the email address below.
Please note: applicants who meet the entry criteria and have a suitable reference will be accepted on the course without interview. All other applicants will be interviewed.
If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
Studying with us is about more than gaining a certificate, it’s also about getting a job you’ll want to do and continue to develop. Throughout your time here, we'll help you to build your employability skills — they're the soft skills and personal attributes that make you more likely to get a job, do a good job or get a better job. These are the skills employers rate and we will ensure you are given the best chance to succeed.
Not only will we equip you with the skills you'll need but you'll also get access to a host of other activities from meting employers to taking part in World Skills our highly trained staff will give you the best preparation for further study or getting employment.
An articulation programme is in place with Glasgow Caledonian University.
Jobs and further study
- Third year entry to various degree courses at the University of the West of Scotland, Glasgow Caledonian University, Edinburgh Napier University and Abertay University
- Second year entry to University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde or University of Edinburgh
- You will have potential to move onto jobs in networking and related industries.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and we will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be by qualifications, possibly an interview and reference
- Proof of qualifications and a suitable academic reference must be supplied before an offer can be made
- Interviews will take place within four weeks of applying.
You will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by email within 10 working days of the interview.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information, such as funding information, and an induction date.