- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 22 Aug 2022
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 Years
Applications are now closed.
This HNC Electrical Engineering course is ideal if you already work in the engineering sector and would like to develop your existing skills to a higher level.
If you are considering a career in electrical engineering then our course can help you begin to achieve your goals, whether that be career progression, advancement to our HND Electrical Engineering course or eventually obtaining a degree. As a result of Industry 4.0 electrical engineers are in demand for innovative roles in design, robotics and automation. If you enjoy the human skills of problem solving and are solution focused, then with our help you can become an innovative future ready engineer.
What will I learn?
You will complete a variety of units such as:
- Electrical machine principles
- Applications of programmable logic controllers
- DC and AC principles
- Application of electrical and electronic instruments
- Three phase systems
- Electricity power systems
- Electrical safety
- Electrical networks and resonance
- Engineering mathematics 1
- Electrical engineering Graded Unit 1 examination
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Minimum of one Higher from English, Mathematics, Physics; OR
- NC in Electrical Engineering Level 6; OR
- We will consider your application if you have relevant experience but no formal qualifications.
If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
As a STEM Assured College we have a renowned reputation for engineering, supported by cutting edge technology, highly qualified and experienced staff. If you are considering a career in electrical engineering then our course can begin to help you achieve your goals, whether that be career progression, advancement to our HND Electrical Engineering course or eventually obtaining a degree
We work in partnership with the majority of engineering employers and are seen as the engineering college of choice within the Greater Glasgow area. Due to our excellent links, the College is continually at the forefront of technological advances with investment in our state of the art engineering facilities which provide students with a world class learning experience.
Jobs and further study
- You may progress onto HND Electrical Engineering if you successfully complete this course with a Graded Unit 1 result of B or above
- You will have the potential to apply for part-time engineering degree programmes at various universities, such as Glasgow Caledonian University, Edinburgh Napier University, University of the West of Scotland and the Open University.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application (remember to check your junk/SPAM folder if you do not hear from us). Please make sure to include your predicted or current qualifications in your application. An outline of previous experience and why you want to study engineering will be very helpful in your application.
Your will be invited to attend an interview, and after this process you will be notified of the outcome by email, there are four possible outcomes:
- unconditional offer: you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed.
- conditional offer: your place is secured pending meeting the entry requirements.
- waiting list: you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted usually around about the course start date.
Once an offer is received you must reply within 14 days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your first choice of campus, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within 14 days.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information such as student funding, joining instructions and an induction date.