This BA Hons Graphic Design course is specifically designed for students who have successfully completed an HND in Graphic Design/Visual Communication or relevant industrial experience with clear typographic understanding.
What will I learn?
During Year One, we build your confidence in all key areas within Graphic Design through a series of tutor-led briefs designed to challenge your creative thinking, technical ability and research development. You will also have the opportunity to develop an online portfolio and blog.
In Year Two, you will undertake professional design practice which will develop and expand your technical knowledge and employability within the Graphic Design industry; you will also create a self-directed brief tailored to your own career aspirations and enter a recognised national competition brief (ISTD).
BA Hons Graphic Design Instagram
Entry requirements (minimum)
- HND Visual Communication/Graphic Design or equivalent with an A or B at Graded Unit.
- Portfolio of Graphic Design work/Typographic knowledge.
- Satisfactory reference.
- Satisfactory completion of a Graphic Design competency exercise.
Other Required Qualifications/Experience
Applicants may also be considered with other academic, vocational, or professional qualifications deemed to be equivalent and evidenced by a portfolio or related graphic design work.
A suitable portfolio of work that demonstrates an understanding of Typography and InDesign within a body of design/illustration work.
How To Apply:
- Apply for the BA Honours Graphic Design – directly through Glasgow Clyde College's website (NOT UCAS).
- Interview: To secure an interview you must send a single PDF portfolio (not exceeding 15mb or two files if required) along with a personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org Your PDF portfolio file should have your full name clearly stated and contain a minimum of eight finished Graphic Design projects and sample sketchbook pages with development, that demonstrate a clear understanding of typography and aesthetic judgement. Only when we have received your PDF will you be considered for an interview.
- Suitable candidates will be invited to an interview on teams or zoom
If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
Engagement with our employers has been developed over several years mainly within the PEC (Personal Effectiveness and Creativity) module. This module allows you to reinforce the transition from student to professional designer by developing the commercial aspect of Graphic Design and the need for a systematic approach to the design process as a business.
Along with industry speakers we also invite professional designer/s/marketeers to devise and deliver real world brief/s during the final modules of year three. You will also be given the opportunity to network and experience the transition into a working studio during placements in your honours year of study.
All Honours year students exhibit their work at D&AD New Blood Festival at The Old Truman Brewery in the heart of east London. This gives you the opportunity to meet and network with industry professionals from around the UK.
Jobs and further study
The BA Honours Graphic Design is an industry specific course aimed at employment within the field of Graphic Design. The course structure allows you to specialise in any of the disciplines within the scope of Graphic Design.
Our alumni are now working with design consultancies including Sachi & Sachi London, MC & Sachi Berlin, Red Bee Media, D8, Made Brave, Traffic Design Screenmedia, Skyscanner, Webber Shandwick, ThirstCraft, Connect Communications, STV Creative.
Gaining a BA Honours Graphic Design may lead to progression onto a number of associated MA programmes within the UK including the MA Creative Media Practice (University of the West of Scotland).
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email for the Admissions department confirming that we have received your application.
You must send an A4 Landscape PDF portfolio before an interview invitation is scheduled. If you don’t send an A4 Landscape PDF portfolio you will not receive an interview invitation. Pleases, follow the stages below. This is all part of the interview process.
- Once your A4 Landscape PDF is received, you will be sent an acknowledgement email with an interview date to follow.
- Interviews will normally take place within three weeks of receiving the PDF portfolio. (Teams app required) Remember: you need to send an A4 Landscape PDF portfolio file before any interview invitation.
- Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
- When you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information e.g. student funding, joining instructions, induction date.
- Interviews will take place on a Monday to Friday 9:30 –11:30 and 2.00 – 4.00pm between February and May 2022. on Teams or Zoom
You will be informed by email within two weeks of the interview whether you have been successful in achieving either a conditional, unconditional or reserve place on the course.
Successful applicants will be asked to attend a warm-up session in June where they will get further information on student funding, joining instructions and induction dates.