- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 24 Aug 2020
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 years (August to June)
The course is now full.
This BA Hons Graphic Design course is specifically designed for students who have successfully completed an HND in Graphic Design/Visual Communication or relevant industrial experience with clear typographic understanding.
What will I learn?
During Year One, we build your confidence in all key areas within Graphic Design through a series of tutor-led briefs designed to challenge your creative thinking, technical ability and research development. You will also have the opportunity to develop an online portfolio and blog.
In Year Two, you will undertake professional design practice which will develop and expand your technical knowledge and employability within the Graphic Design industry; you will also create a self-directed brief tailored to your own career aspirations and enter a recognised national competition brief (ISTD).
Employer and industry links
Engagement with our employers has been developed over several years mainly within the PEC (Personal Effectiveness and Creativity) module. This module allows you to reinforce the transition from student to professional designer by developing the commercial aspect of Graphic Design and the need for a systematic approach to the design process as a business.
Along with industry speakers we also invite professional designer/s/marketeers to devise and deliver real world brief/s during the final modules of year three. You will also be given the opportunity to network and experience the transition into a working studio during placements in your honours year of study.
All Honours year students exhibit their work at D&AD New Blood Festival at The Old Truman Brewery in the heart of east London. This gives you the opportunity to meet and network with industry professionals from around the UK.
Jobs and further study
The BA Honours Graphic Design is an industry specific course aimed at employment within the field of Graphic Design. The course structure allows you to specialise in any of the disciplines within the scope of Graphic Design.
Our alumni are now working with design consultancies including Sachi & Sachi London, MC & Sachi Berlin, Red Bee Media, D8, Made Brave, Traffic Design Screenmedia, Skyscanner, Webber Shandwick, ThirstCraft, Connect Communications, STV Creative.
Gaining a BA Honours Graphic Design may lead to progression onto a number of associated MA programmes within the UK.
MA Creative Media Practice (University of the West of Scotland)
Entry requirements (minimum)
HND Visual Communication/Graphic Design or equivalent with a Graded Unit A or B pass plus a portfolio of Graphic Design, or suitable industrial experience. We look for students who want to solve design problems and communicate visually in order to inform, challenge and entertain.
How To Apply:
1. Apply for the BA Honours Graphic Design – directly through Glasgow Clyde College's website (NOT UCAS).
2. Send a single PDF portfolio (not exceeding 15mb or two files if required) along with a separate personal statement to email@example.com
3. Your PDF portfolio file should have your full name clearly stated and contain a minimum of eight finished Graphic Design projects that demonstrate a clear understanding of typography and aesthetic judgement. Only when we have received your PDF will you be considered for interview.
4. Suitable candidates will be invited for interview and should bring along a physical portfolio of Graphic Design work and 1 sketchbook relating to a piece of work within the portfolio, reference and proof of qualifications.
5. There will also be a skills test usually taking no more than 10 minutes.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
• BA Hons Graphic Design selection will require a personal statement, assessment of qualifications and suitable reference.
• Send a single PDF portfolio (not exceeding 15mb or two files if required) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your PDF portfolio file should have your full name clearly stated and contain a minimum of eight finished graphic design projects that demonstrate a clear understanding of typography and aesthetic judgement.
• Once your PDF is received, you will be sent an acknowledgement email.
• Interviews will normally take place within 3 weeks of applying.
• Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
• When you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information e.g. student funding, joining instructions, induction date.
• Successful applicants will be asked to attend a warm-up session in May.