- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 26 Aug 2019
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications for this course are now full. Applications for August 2020 open in January.
This course builds on the hairdressing skills and knowledge gained during the NC Hairdressing Level 5 course and will teach you how to be creative with style and colour. The focus is very much on enhancing your creative hairdressing skills to colour, style and dress hair. Colour correction and dressing long hair will be an integral part of this course.
What will I learn?
- Hair Colouring and Lightening
- Colour Correction
- Combination Cutting
- Styling Hair for a Commercial Look
Employer and industry links
A range of well-known employers from Glasgow and the local area engage with us to influence the direction of this course and activities such as competition skills enrich the student experience to guarantee enhanced opportunities for our hairdressing students.
Jobs and further study
- HNC Hairdressing
- HNC/D Make up Artistry
- Depending on confidence and skills, learners may be able to move on to apply for third year junior or first year stylist opportunities
- Freelance Hairdresser
- Business Owner
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Progression from Level 5 to Level 6 Hairdressing is not guaranteed. A conditional offer does not secure a place
- The teaching team will consider your application and progress over the Level 5 course taking into account; Attendance, timekeeping, progression in terms of theory and practical skills, ability to cope at Level 6, references from teaching team in order to make a final (unconditional) offer.
- You must be 16 years or over before course start date
- NQ Level 5 Hairdressing or SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing
- If you do not have formal qualifications, but have more than two years industrial experience, you may be considered if you pass a skills test at interview and provide one industry-relevant reference.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
You will be invited to an information session. This session may last up to two hours.
At this stage you will join a group to be given:
- course content
- practical skills test
- a department tour
- one-to-one interview
You must bring:
- photocopied proof of qualifications held or pending (for example, if you are currently studing NC Level 5 Hairdressing/SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing)
You will need to successfully pass the practical test and interview in order to be offered a place.
Interviews will take place between February and August.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.