This course builds on the hairdressing skills and knowledge gained during the NQ Hairdressing Level 5 course and is designed to strengthen and enhance your creative hairdressing skills.
Creative cutting, colouring and styling are an integral part of this course which will give you the opportunity to broaden your hairdressing knowledge and technical ability whilst keeping up to date with current industry trends.
What will I learn?
- Hair Colouring and Lightening
- Colour Correction
- Combination Cutting
- Style, Dress and Finish Hair
Employer and industry links
A range of well-known employers from Glasgow and the local area engage with us to influence the direction of this course and activities such as competition skills enrich the student experience to guarantee enhanced opportunities for our hairdressing students.
Jobs and further study
- HNC Hairdressing
- HNC/D Make-up Artistry
- Depending on confidence and skills, learners may be able to move on to apply for third year junior or first year stylist opportunities
- Freelance Hairdresser
- Business Owner
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Progression from Level 5 to Level 6 Hairdressing is not guaranteed. A conditional offer does not secure a place
- The teaching team will consider your application and progress over the Level 5 course taking into account: attendance, timekeeping, progression in terms of theory and practical skills, ability to cope at Level 6, references from teaching team in order to make a final (unconditional) offer.
- You must be 16 years or over before course start date
- NQ Level 5 Hairdressing or SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing at SCQF Level 5
- If you do not have formal qualifications, but have more than two years industrial experience, you may be considered if you pass a skills test at interview and provide one industry-relevant reference.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
You will be invited to an information session. This session may last up to two hours.
At this stage you will join a group to be given:
- course content
- practical skills test
- a department tour
- one-to-one interview
You must bring:
- photocopied proof of qualifications held or pending (for example, if you are currently studing NQ Hairdressing Level 5/SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing at SCQF Level 5)
Interview is a competitive process and you will be scored throughout the interview, written task and skills test. Only those who pass this stage will be offered a place.
Interviews will take place between February and August.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.