- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 Year (August to June)
Applications to this course have temporarily been placed on hold while we deal with the large number received.
NC Hairdressing Second Year Salon Junior with Gents Haircutting (Level 6) builds upon your skills and knowledge and is designed to enhance your creative hairdressing skills.
Creative cutting, colouring and styling are an integral part of this course which will give you the opportunity to broaden your hairdressing knowledge and technical ability whilst keeping up to date with current industry trends.
What will I learn?
- Hair colouring and lightening
- Colour correction
- Combination cutting
- Style, dress and finish hair
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Progression from Level 5 to Level 6 Hairdressing is not guaranteed. A conditional offer does not secure a place
- The teaching team will consider your application and progress over the Level 5 course taking into account: attendance, timekeeping, progression in terms of theory and practical skills, ability to cope at Level 6, references from teaching team in order to make a final (unconditional) offer.
- You must be 16 years or over before course start date
- NQ Level 5 Hairdressing or SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing at SCQF Level 5
- If you do not have formal qualifications, but have more than two years industrial experience, you may be considered if you pass a skills test at interview and provide one industry-relevant reference.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
A range of well-known employers from Glasgow and the local area engage with us to influence the direction of this course and activities such as competition skills enrich the student experience to guarantee enhanced opportunities for our hairdressing students.
Jobs and further study
- HNC Hairdressing
- HNC/D Make-up Artistry
- Depending on confidence and skills, learners may be able to move on to apply for third year junior or first year stylist opportunities
- Freelance Hairdresser
- Business Owner
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
Initially, we will be in contact to invite you to a Microsoft Teams group presentation and question and answer session.
During this session, you will be set a task to create a digital moodboard for submission. Your moodboard should reflect your passion for the hairdressing sector and will not only showcase your favourite professional hairdresser but will also reflect current trends in the industry.
Examples of moodboards will be shown at the presentation and you will be given two weeks to complete this task.
Each of these stages are a competitive process and you will be scored throughout. Only those who pass these stages will be offered a place.
All stages will take place between February and August 2021. Outcomes will be sent by email within 10 working days.
Proof of your passion for the industry is essential in order to be offered a place on the course.
You must supply:
- proof of qualifications held or pending (for example, if you are currently studing NQ Hairdressing Level 5/SVQ Level 2 Hairdressing at SCQF Level 5) including evidence of SCQF Level 4 English/ ESOL.
It is essential that you email these items in order to move on to next stage. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information such as student funding, joining instructions, uniform order form, induction dates and timetable.