- Cardonald Campus
- Start Date & time
- 18 Mar 2021 @ 7 - 9pm
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 12 weeks - Thursday evenings
COURSE FULLY BOOKED
This course is designed for those interested in learning British Sign Language or improving on existing skills to work towards SQA accreditation.
What will I learn?
The course will be delivered online using Zoom
The course will include basic and everyday vocabulary and communication topics such as:
- Introducing yourself and others
- Expressing likes and dislikes connected to foods, drinks, hobbies and interests
- Giving directions connected to countries and places of interest
- Communicating simple information about your friends and family
- Communicating simple information about your work and different occupations
- Basic Deaf Awareness
- SQA British Sign Language (BSL): An Introduction (SCQF Level 3).
The tutor of the course is Lorna McIntyre - a profoundly Deaf, first language BSL user and skilled lip-reader. She is a skilled Deaf Awareness and BSL lecturer who specialises in teaching and improving the communication with the Deaf community. Lorna has been teaching BSL for over 30 years in various different settings and was awarded the Signature BSL Teacher of the Year Award in 2017.
Jobs and further study
After studying this you can go on to study BSL Intermediate 2 and further study and training which can lead on to Higher or PDA for those wishing to become an interpreter.
Entry requirements (minimum)
An interest in learning British Sign Language
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.