Gateway to College
- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 30 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- August to May
Applications will open in January 2022.
Would building your qualifications and skills help you to achieve your career ambitions?
Gateway to College is a short full-time course that focuses on achieving National 4 qualifications in English and Maths while preparing for a vocational area of choice in the college.
You will develop the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed to support successful transition to a relevant Level 5 course.
In addition to academic qualifications, you will
• Gain the necessary skills for further study.
• Learn how about learning and what can help you learn better
• Learn about gathering information, basic research, learning theories and strategies, self-awareness, study skills, planning, time management, organisation and resilience.
What will I learn?
- National 4 English
- National 4 Applications of maths
- Learning about learning – learning styles, growth mindset and study skills
- Leadership and personal development
- SQA Level 4 Wellbeing award
- SQA Level 4 Understanding industry
- SQA Level 4 Preparing to work
- Future-proofing for industry
- Coping strategies and Building resilience in your mental health for study
- Preparing for success and further study
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. You will attend an interview as part of the selection process which will concentrate on:
- Readiness to study towards SCQF Level 4 qualifications
- Core skills profiling
Employer and industry links
You may get the opportunity to complete projects and develop your knowledge of career paths and employment opportunities.
Jobs and further study
If you successfully complete this course, you are guaranteed an interview for progression to a Level 5 course in your preferred vocational area at Glasgow Clyde College.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be by meeting minimum entry requirements, attending an information session followed by an interview and assessment of qualifications plus evidence of residency.
- The process will consist of an information session, interview and if required a skills test. Proof of qualifications and residency must be supplied before an offer can be made.
- Interviews will take place within 4 weeks of applying.
- You will be informed of the outcome of the interview within 10 working days. You will be contacted by email unless you have informed the interviewer of another method you would like to be contacted by.
- Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
- If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information on student funding, joining instructions and induction date.