- Anniesland Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 22 Aug 2022
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- Short Full-Time
- 18 Weeks (August to January)
Applications for this course are now closed.
NQ Introduction to Sport and Fitness (Level 4) is designed to introduce you to Sport and Exercise training at a basic level which will prepare you for entry to NQ Sport and Fitness Activities at Level 5 (January start). You will gain practical skills and experience in a variety of sports and exercise contexts.
Current student Lee said, ‘ I started at level 4 and I’m now currently doing level 6 and am hoping to become a personal trainer.’
What will I learn?
You will take part in and learn about a variety of theoretical and practical sports and exercise subjects including:
- Indoor sports including basketball, volleyball, swimming, including GB coaching awards where appropriate
- Introduction to outdoor activities
- Core skills development
- Introduction to careers
- Sports officiating
- Introduction to fitness training.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- You do not require any formal academic entry qualifications, however, an active interest in sport and exercise is essential
- You must provide one professional reference.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same or relevant subject area.
Employer and industry links
The College has good industry links with Glasgow Life and private fitness and health providers throughout Glasgow.
Jobs and further study
- Introduction to Sport and Fitness (starting in January)
- NQ Sport and Fitness Level 5 (starting in January) or
- Access to HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise (Level 7) (starting in January) - depending on qualifications or
- Access to HNC Coaching and Developing Sport (Level 7) (starting in January) - depending upon qualifications.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be by information session and interview
- Interviews will take place between February and August.
Once an offer is received you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of your first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information on student funding, joining instructions and induction date.