English Language Summer School
Glasgow Clyde College’s English Language Summer School invites applications from students (mainly over 16) from all over the world to come to learn and improve their English during the summer months of June, July and August 2020 whilst enjoying the delights that Scotland has to offer.
It is currently planned that the College will have recommenced face-to-face teaching by this time, however, this position will be kept under review.
English Language summer school commences on 22 June and runs until the 21 August 2020. You can study English from as little as one week up to a total of six weeks.
Why study English at Glasgow Clyde College?
- Experienced and highly qualified English teachers
- Small class groups – maximum of 20 people in any class
- Classes are Monday to Friday, half days, giving you the rest of the day to explore the tourist attractions that Glasgow and surrounding areas have to offer
- Various levels of English available from beginners, to advanced lessons
- Free Wi-Fi in all classes and campus locations and access to computer and library facilities
- Campus locations are next to train and bus stations which make it very easy to get to the college
What levels of English Language can I study?
Our English Language courses are informative, stimulating, varied, and designed by English teachers to improve your communication skills in English. You can choose between our two main programmes:
General English: Level 1 (20 Hours per week)
The aim of the Level 1 English course is to develop your English speaking and listening skills for use in work, learning and everyday situations.
Intensive English: Level 2 (25 hours per week)
The aim of the Level 2 English course is to develop English Language fluency, in speaking, reading and writing in English, in work, learning, and everyday situations.
*If you are not sure which course you should enrol in, the college can offer you an informal grading assessment in order to determine which the best level of class is for you.
You can also add a Social activity programme to your course
What will I learn in the Summer English Language School?
In the English Summer School you will work on developing the following
- Your English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- English Grammar and vocabulary
- English Pronunciation.
Will this course prepare me to sit an IELTS Test?
Yes. You can use these courses to help you prepare to sit the International English Language Test (IELT). Check with us to let us know what it is you want to achieve over the time studying English with us.
Can I sit the IELTS test in Glasgow?
Yes. However, you will need to have booked a place on the IELTS test. Contact us if you wish to sit an IELTS test at the end of your course. The cost of sitting your IELTS test is separate and additional to your course tuition fee.
What accommodation is available during my English Summer School course at Glasgow Clyde College?
At Glasgow Clyde College, we will support you to find the most suitable accommodation for your needs and budget. Accommodation is not included in the course fees and will be an additional cost.
You can either choose;
- Homestay Accommodation – this is where you could stay with a host Scottish Family. The benefit of this is it will give you the opportunity to practise your English.
- Hostels – this is normally shared accommodation.
- University Halls of Residence – you would have your own room and facilities.
For more information on accommodation whilst studying in Glasgow https://www.glasgowclyde.ac.uk/international/study-in-glasgow
Before you confirm your place on the English Language course, our International Officer would support you to secure suitable accommodation.
What is the Social Activity Programme?
The Social Activity Programme offers the opportunity to visit many of the attractions that Glasgow and the surrounding areas has to offer, as part of a group of learners. This will take the form of organised excursions and trips to many beautiful scenic and historic places of interest in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Scotland. For example
Visit to Loch Lomond https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/
Glasgow University https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/
Edinburgh Castle https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/
See what amazing sights you could visit in Scotland https://www.visitscotland.com/
There will also be a range of organised activities such as visits to the cinema, restaurants and local shopping areas
Can I attend the English Language Programme if I am under 16?
We welcome applications from younger learners, if you are coming to the English Language Summer Programme as a Group, being supervised by a Teacher or Course Leader. The Summer English Language course delivery can be tailored to meet the needs of the group with specific social activities being organised. There is a discount for group bookings.
How do I apply for the English Summer School Programme?
Please contact us using the details below.
If you would like more information or you have any queries contact
English Summer School International Office
Tel +44 (0) 141 272 0616
What happens once I have made an application?
- Once Glasgow Clyde College receive your application, we will check it.
- You will receive a Conditional offer of a place with a request to pay a £200 deposit, this is in order to confirm your place on the course
- We will then send you an English Language Summer School Information pack. This will include all details, locations, and documents needed for your course. It will also give you details of how to pay your outstanding fees. You must pay your outstanding fees before you receive an unconditional offer of a place on the course.
- If you require to apply for a short-term student visitor visa, you will require an Unconditional Offer of a place on the course in order to make a visa application.