Early Education and Childcare
- Skills for Work
- SCQF Level
Are you currently working in school at National 4 level or above, interested in working with children aged 0-12 years and interested in a career in one of the following roles:
- Child Development Officer
- Child Minding, Early Years Practitioner
- Play Worker
- Play Assistant
- Primary Teaching.
Glasgow Clyde College can offer you an introduction to the basic knowledge and skills required to prepare you for further study leading to potential employment in the early education and childcare sector. The course is designed as an introduction to early Education and Childcare at National 4 level and will help you understand some of the demands and responsibilities for working in this sector.
Skills for Work: Early Education and Childcare SCQF Level 4:
- Child Development
- Care of Children
- Working in Early Education and Childcare
You must have or be working towards:
- English National 4 or equivalent
Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (1.30pm to 4pm).
You might go on to do:
- A Modern Apprenticeship in Childcare or Early Years Care and Education, leading to a Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) Levels 2 to 4 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development. You would train on the job in a nursery and off the job (usually one day a week) at a college or training centre. Apprenticeships usually last for two years
- A one year full time National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ) course in Early Education and Child Care at a local college of further education
- A one year full time higher education course, such as a Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Early Education and Childcare. You may be able to progress to a Nursery Manager post once you have achieved a degree or equivalent in Childhood Practice