National 5 Applications of Maths
- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date & time
- 17 Aug 2021 @ 6pm - 9pm
- Qualification Type
- SQA National Award
- Course Type
- August to May
COURSE FULLY BOOKED
This course aims to provide the knowledge to allow successful performance in the National 5 level Mathematics Course and to eventually progress on to Higher Mathematics.
Those who are wishing to gain a qualification to support an application to Primary or Secondary School Teaching (most subject areas), we would recommend that you apply for the National 5 Applications of Mathematics course.
What will I learn?
The National 5 Applications of Mathematics course is assessed by a final exam in May. This has two papers:
- paper 1 is non-calculator
- paper 2 allows the use of a calculator.
The course will cover:
Mathematics: Finance and Statistics
- use mathematical ideas and strategies to be applied to managing finance and statistics in a real life context.
Mathematics: Geometry and Measure
- develop skills that focus on the mathematical ideas which can be applied to geometry and measurement in a real life context.
- to develop numerical and information handling skills to solve real-life problems involving money, number, time and measurement.
Entry requirements (minimum)
You require a pass at National 4 (including Added Value Unit), or equivalent, in Maths.
Please note that due to the high level of challenge presented by National Courses, and the significant demand for this programme, that the above represents the minimum entry requirements. Not all applicants who meet the minimum entry will be offered a place on the course and some applicants may require to sit an entry test before a decision on their place is made.
Employer and industry links
National Course qualifications at National 5 level can be used to support progression in a variety of work or study contexts.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
Academic staff will read and check your application form. It is therefore important that you complete the current qualification and personal statement section fully. This will take up to four weeks from the date of application and all applications are dealt with in the order in which they are received.
You will then receive one of the following:
- an offer of a place on the course. This is subject to payment of the course fee.
- A conditional offer. This will usually be as you are waiting on exam results. In this case we will ask you to pay the fee but this will be refunded should you fail to meet the condition of your offer.
- No offer. Feedback on the reason you have not been accepted can be provided on request.
Successful application will be sent joining information.
Enrolment usually takes place on the first night of the course.