This course is designed for those interested in learning British Sign Language or improving on existing skills to work towards SQA accreditation. You will also study aspects of the history and culture of the Deaf community.
What will I learn?
- Basic Deaf Awareness
- British Sign Language (An Introduction/ Intermediate 1)
- Aspects of Deaf History and Culture
Employer and industry links
After studying this you can go on to study BSL Intermediate 1 or 2 (SCQF levels 1/ 2) which can further lead on to Higher or PDA for those wishing to become an interpreter with further study and training.
Entry requirements (minimum)
No prior knowledge of British Sign Language (BSL) is required, although those who have already completed an introductory course will be able to work towards SQA accreditation.
- an interest in learning British Sign Language
- a successful interview
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You should complete your application form with as much detail as possible, as this information will be used to select interviewees, and then inform the interview process. Selected applicants will be invited to a group information session, followed by a one-to-one interview.
- You will be offered an interview date, and will be invited to a group information session, followed by a one-to-one interview.
- Interviews for this course will begin in February.
- You will be informed of the selection decision within 10 working days of the interview. If you have been offered an ‘unconditional’ place, you must accept this within 10 days. If you have been offered a ‘conditional’ place, the letter will detail the conditions you have to meet.
- Once an offer is received you must accept within 10 working days or risk losing your place.