This bespoke course is for you if you are a qualified therapist wishing to pursue a career within a healthcare setting or if you wish to work with this client group competently within your own practice.
This course includes a work placement approved by the NHS where you will be monitored and assessed.
Upon successful completion, this qualification will allow you to apply for insurance to practice within the healthcare industry.
This course recently won the Glasgow Herald Higher Education Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community.
What will I learn?
This course comprises the VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Providing Therapies for Clients with Cancer or other Life-Limiting Conditions and college certificates which are approved by the Association of Beauty Therapy.
VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Providing Therapies for Clients with Cancer or other Life-Limiting Conditions
- Interpersonal Skills for the Complementary Therapist
- Principles of Providing Complementary Therapies in a Health Care Setting
- Provide Complementary Therapies for People with Life-limiting Conditions
- Working with Healthcare Professionals
- Professional Practice – this will include an assessed placement within a health care setting.
College Certificates approved by the Association of Beauty Therapy:
- Introduction to Loss, Grief and Counselling Skills
- Reiki 1
- Reiki 2
- Adaptive Hand and Nail Treatments for People with Cancer and Life Limiting Illness
- Adaptive Massage Techniques for People with Cancer and Life Limiting Illness.
Employer and industry links
- Spa industry
- Healthcare setting
- Beauty and complementary therapy industry
Jobs and further study
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies
- HNC/D Holistic Therapies SCQF Level 7/8
- Relevant degree level courses such as University of the Highlands and Islands - BSc (Hons) Integrative Healthcare and University of the West of Scotland - BSc (Hons) Professional Health Studies
- Various certified CPD courses in adaptive techniques
- Workplace opportunities (voluntary and paid) within health and care sector
Entry requirements (minimum)
- You must have a VTCT Level 3 in Complementary Therapies, HND Beauty Therapy or be a qualifed Healthcare Practitioner who has completed the Introduction to Complementary Therapies for Cancer and Life Limiting Illnesses
- You must be highly committed to working with clients who have a range of medical conditions
- You will need a proven record of reliability, motivation and professionalism
- Internal candidates must have a reference from their personal development tutor
- External candidates must also have a reference from a current, relevant workplace
- You must have, or be prepared to put in place, your own professional indemnity therapy insurance.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be by a one-to-one interview, a three minute presentation, followed by a short information session
- You will be asked to prepare a three minute presentation on the signs and symptoms of stress
- You must bring your references and qualifications to your interview.
Interviews will take place between April and June.
You will be informed about the outcome 10 working days after your interview. This will be sent via email.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be emailed joining instructions, including funding information and your timetable, in July.