This University of the Arts London (UAL)Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design has been developed to provide students with an interest in art and design and replaces our NQ Art and Design: Portfolio Skills course. This new and exciting opportunity will allow you to explore the materials, methods and processes that support art and design activities, and to begin to develop some related technical skills.
What will I learn?
The qualification draws upon established approaches to teaching, learning and assessment that are successfully proven to appeal to and engage students seeking practical study over a more academic study route. The qualification's structure provides a linked introduction to the broad context within which art and design activity sits.
This course is aimed at students who do not have a portfolio of artwork and wish to gain entry onto an art-based course, either within the College or 1st year at Art School. It is also suitable for people returning to education who enjoyed Art and Design-based subjects, including Product Design or Graphic Communication at school, and wish to rebuild a portfolio to support an application to a creative course.
Throughout the course, guest professional artists and designers deliver skills based workshops.
The course includes:
- Analytical drawing
- Mixed media
- 3D construction
- Sketchbook development
- Introduction to animation
Jobs and further study
- Level 3 Diploma in Art & Design
- Foundation in Graphic & Illustration
- Foundation in Fashion & Textiles
- Foundation in Contemporary Art
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Minimum of four National 4 or 5 qualifications
- One suitable reference
- Any samples of personal work
- Personal statement is key to supporting a successful application
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply, you will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You will be invited to attend an interview. Please bring along your portfolio, qualifications and references.
- Proof of qualifications must be supplied before an offer can be made.
- You will be interviewed within one month after the application.
- You will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by email within 10 working days of the interview.
- Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
- Once you have accepted your offer, you will invited to a Summer Briefing and end of year Exhibition.
- You will be sent further information on student funding, joining instructions, and induction date.