This introductory Accounting course (the first of 2 over the year) is designed to provide you with a good grounding in the accounting skills required for business. Successfully completing this course allows you to progress on to the 2nd short course (Jan – Jun) called Access to HND Accounting. These 2 short courses will provide you with the skills and knowledge to move on to a Higher National course in accounting or potentially to jobs at an introductory level in an accounting or business organisation.
What will I learn?
- Financial accounting
- Management accounting
- Preparing final accounts
- Recording cash and financial transactions
- Introduction to book-keeping
- Information Technology (spreadsheet, database, word processing)
- Introduction to spreadsheets
Employer and industry links
The College has employer links with a variety of organisations. As part of your course you may go on a trip to visit an organisation and/or guest speakers may be brought in.
Jobs and further study
If you are successful, you may progress to HND Accounting.
If you wish to progress, you should gain a pass in all units, as well as having an excellent academic reference and attendance.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Three or more relevant courses at National 4 level or above (or equivalent including English and a numeracy based subject) at C or above.
- Relevant work experience will be considered.
- An interview will be part of the selection process.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application (remember to check your SPAM folder if you do not hear from us) and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Interview and entry skills assessment. This will consist of some basic numeracy testing and a short piece of writing about why you wish to do this course.
- The process will consist of an information session, a skills assessment and a one-to-one interview. You must bring any evidence of qualifications you hold with you.