This Basic Sewing class is a set five half day classes over 1 week block, is designed to get you familiar with a sewing machine and your basic sewing equipment. It routes in the basics on project pattern layout, fabric cutting, essential construction skills and finishing techniques on 2 set projects! This class combines the skill knowledge of Dressmaking with the fun and creativity of Home Décor.
What will I learn?
Please note: you will be required to purchase materials for this course.
- Introduction to your new sewing machine, learning how to thread up your machine, fill a new spool/bobbin and sewing a straight line with even seam allowances and a ‘Pivot turn’ technique
- Sewing a variety of seam allowances, creating a Superimposed seam, Sink/Stay and Top Stitch techniques (single & double stitching)
- A quick recap of setting up your sewing machine, sewing a straight seam
- Creating a Single and Double turned hem Stitch techniques
- Creating 3 basic 9-Patch blocks, H–block and Diagonal Patchwork sample exercises
- Making a 12-Patch Patchwork cushion front, with an Envelope backed technique
- Introduction to specialist sewing machine equipment – a 4-thread Over-locker
- Replicating a Bias Binding sample exercises
- Cutting out and sewing the Appliqué HOME or LOVE lettering for 2nd cushion front (prep for this can be done at home)
- Creating a contrasting lapelled back, with Fusible Interfacing.
- Buttonhole tutorial, placement of Buttonholes on lapel back and finishing project 2 cushion, with over-locked inner edges
- Finishing off any parts of both cushion projects, Over-locking, cutting corners etc. (An additional 3rd small sewing exercise can be done if some finish early).