- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 22 Aug 2022
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 years (August to June)
Courses starting in August 2023 will open for applications on Monday 16th January 2023.
HND Fitness, Health and Exercise will give you the underpinning knowledge and practical leadership skills required to pursue a career in the fitness industry, within leisure centres, self-employment and/or progress into higher education including teaching.
A PVG will be required to undertake the mandatory placement which is embedded in the course.
You will be able to register as either a Level 2 Gym Instructor or a Level 3 Personal Trainer with the Register of Exercise Professionals upon successful completion of this course.
You may study the 1st year of this programme at the Anniesland or Cardonald Campus, but the 2nd year of this programme will be delivered at the Cardonald Campus.
What will I learn?
- CIMSPA recognised Level 2 Gym Instructor
- Level 2 exercise to music (studio cycling/ETM)
- Gym/studio-based exercise
- Exercise physiology and anatomy
- Physical activity for children
- Work experience
- Research (graded unit 1)
If you successfully complete the core HNC units along with the Gym and/or Exercise to Music, you can also gain REPS Level 2.
- CIMSPA recognised Level 3 personal trainer
- Preparing to start a business
- Metabolic considerations for personal trainers
- Core strength and posture
- Plan and deliver personal training sessions
- Current exercise trends
- Applied nutrition
- Applied fitness testing for special populations
- Applied exercise prescription for special populations.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Two Highers at C or above, one of which must be English-based
- A relevant Level 6 qualification in Sport such as NC Sport and Exercise (Level 6), NQ Health and Fitness (Level 6), NQ Sports Coaching (Level 6) or NQ Sport and Fitness (Level 6) - must include Communications at Level 6 or an English based subject at Level 6
- Demonstrable active interest in sport or fitness
- You will be required to attend an interview
- If you can demonstrate an active interest in sport or fitness but don't meet the academic requirements, you can still be considered for this course upon successful completion of an entrance exam
- If you have a relevant HNC, it may be possible to access Year 2 of the HND. Please contact the Faculty directly.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Employer and industry links
The college has excellent links with:
- National Governing Bodies (REPS, Cimspa, Pegasus, Les Mills, GameFit, Rebound UK, Tri-Hiit)
- Glasgow Life Sport
- David Lloyd, Pure Gym, Exercise 4 Less and more
- Local Authorities including primary and secondary schools
- Active School Co-ordinators.
- 2nd/3rd year entry to BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching at University of the West of Scotland
- 2nd/3rd year entry to BSc (Hons) Sports Development at University of the West of Scotland
- 2nd/3rd year entry to BSc (Hons) Sports and Development at University of the West of Scotland
- 2rd year entry to BA (Hons) Sports Studies at Stirling University
- 2nd or 3rd year entry to BSc (Hons) in Sports Development and Coaching at Abertay University
Jobs and further study
- Employment in the fitness industry.
- Health promotion officer
- Strength and conditioning coach
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- If you meet the entry requirements or have qualifications pending you will then be invited for an interview
- Interviews will take place from February and may continue until the course starts in August
- When you attend the interview you must bring a copy of your qualifications, If you are unable to bring these documents to the interview, you will be unable to be offered an unconditional offer.
- The interview will take the form of a group interview where you will be asked to discuss your interests and experience in sport and fitness. During the interview, you will hear about the course and engage in a group interview. Your qualifications will be checked and you will get the chance to ask any questions about the course. You may also be asked to participate in a short practical activity.
After you have attended your interview, you will be informed of the outcome of your interview by email within 1 – 2 weeks. The outcome would be one of the following:
- unconditional place – you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your place.
- conditional place – your place is secured pending you meeting the entry requirements. This may mean achieving school or college qualification which you may not be able to provide us until August. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your conditional place.
- waiting list – you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted usually around about the course start date.
- unsuccessful – you have not met the entry requirements for this course and are advised to contact the College Student Advice Centre to discuss alternative options which may be available to you.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 14 days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent out instructions about student funding. This will normally be sent out within three weeks of you accepting the place.
You will also be sent details on an information day. This normally takes place in June and will give you the chance to meet other students on your course, get a tour of the college, meet some ex-students and get a chance to speak to people from industry.
You will then be sent out information about the induction date. This will be held in August, 2 – 3 weeks before your course starts.