This course will build on the British Sign Language: An Introduction course to develop your British Sign Language skills. You will also study aspects of the history and culture of the Deaf community.
What will I learn?
- British Sign Language (BSL)
- BSL History and the Deaf Community
- BSL Storytelling
Employer and industry links
You will have the opportunity to attend events and volunteer with organisations within the Deaf community. You will develop your knowledge of career paths and employment opportunities.
Jobs and further study
After studying this course, you can go on to study complete the British Sign Language Level 1 Award which can further lead on to British Sign Language Studies Level 2 (SCQF Level 5), Higher or PDA, for those wishing to work towards becoming a BSL Support Worker or Interpreter with further study and training.
Entry requirements (minimum)
A basic level of communication in British Sign Language roughly equivalent to the SQA BSL: An Introduction.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You should complete your application form with as much detail as possible, as this information will be used to select interviewees, and then inform the interview process. Selected applicants will be invited to a group information session, followed by a one-to-one interview.
- You will be offered an interview date, and will be invited to a group information session, followed by a one-to-one interview.
- Interviews for this course will begin in February.
- You will be informed of the selection decision within 10 working days of the interview. If you have been offered an ‘unconditional’ place, you must accept this within 10 days. If you have been offered a ‘conditional’ place, the letter will detail the conditions you have to meet.
- Once an offer is received you must accept within 10 working days or risk losing your place.