- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 22 Aug 2022
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- Short Full-Time
- 18 Weeks (August to January)
Applications for this course are now closed as the course is now full.
This course will build on previous studies and use of British Sign Language. The course is a mixed level BSL course, to accommodate students working at levels 1, 2 and 3. You will develop your understanding and use of BSL at the level appropriate to you. You will build your employability skills within a BSL context and study aspects of the history and culture of the Deaf community.
What will I learn?
- British Sign Language (BSL)
- BSL history and the Deaf community
- BSL storytelling
- Employability skills - Preparing to work with BSL
Entry requirements (minimum)
- Minimum entry requirement is Introduction to BSL at SCQF Level 4.
- As this is a mixed level course you will be assessed and placed into the correct level in the class.
- A successful interview.
- You must provide evidence of your current BSL level and you may be required to do an assessment to ensure you are offered a class at the correct level.
Employer and industry links
You will learn about career paths and employment opportunities within BSL.
Jobs and further study
If you successfully complete this course you may progress to the next level within the course.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and the college will contact you to invite you to interview.
- Selection will be by meeting minimum entry requirements, attending an interview and an assessment of your qualifications or BSL fluency.
- Interviews will take in June 2022.
- You will be informed of the outcome of the interview within 5 working days. You will be contacted by email unless you have informed the interviewer of another method you would like to be contacted by.
- You will be informed of the outcome of your interview by email or letter if you have applied using a support service email address within 2 weeks of your interview.
- Once an offer is received you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
- Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent further information on Student Funding, Joining Instructions and Induction date.