- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 27 Aug 2018
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 2 Years (August to June)
Applications open January 2019
This computing course covers a wide range of subjects and enables you to specialise in a particular area such as computer science, software development, networking or technical support.
You will complete the HNC Computing in first year and then progress on to the HND of your chosen specialism.
Computer science is a broad-based course, which has an emphasis on programming.
What will I learn?
- Software development (various languages)
- Web development
- Computer forensics
- Ethical hacking
You will also have the opportunity to study towards an Oracle Academy qualification.
In addition to this, you will also be offered the opportunity to study towards a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and CompTIA A+ qualifications. These qualifications are highly desired by employers.
You will also have the opportunity to enter World Skills competitions, in which Glasgow Clyde College has won every Scottish heat entered.
You can also access the latest Microsoft software in labs that are equipped to a high standard.
Employer and industry links
Studying with us is about more than gaining a certificate, it’s also about getting a job you’ll want to do and continue to develop. Throughout your time here, we'll help you to build your employability skills — that's the soft skills and personal attributes that make you more likely to get a job, do a good job or get a better job. These are the skills employers rate and we will ensure you are given the best chance to succeed.
Not only will we equip you with the skills you'll need but you'll also get access to a host of other activities from meting employers to taking part in World Skills our highly trained staff will give you the best preparation for further study or getting employment.
Jobs and further study
- Third year entry to various degree courses at the University of the West of Scotland, Glasgow Caledonian University or Abertay University
- Second year-entry at the University of Glasgow, Edinburgh or Strathclyde is also possible, depending on maths qualifications
- You will have the potential to move on to jobs in Intelligence, Analysis, Development and related industries.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- One Higher and one Intermediate 2/National 5 from Computing, Maths, English, IT, or Science, or
- A relevant NQ or equivalent qualification
- If you have a relevant HNC it may be possible to access second year of the HND
- A suitable employer or academic reference
- We will consider your application if you have relevant experience but no formal qualifications.
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and we will be in contact as per the following stages:
- selection will be by qualifications, possibly an interview and reference. If you meet the criteria and supply a suitable reference, you will not be interviewed and will be offered a place, if available.
- proof of qualifications and a suitable academic reference must be supplied before an offer can be made
- interviews will take place within four weeks of applying.
You will be informed of the outcome of the selection process by email within 10 working days of the interview.