- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Other non-advanced qual
- Course Type
- 6 - 8 months
Open day 7th June! Info coming soon!
Glasgow Clyde College's Domestic Gas Foundation course is designed for those wishing to enter the gas industry. On completion of the training, portfolio and successful assessment candidates are issued with a BPEC Gas Foundation certificate. You can then undertake the relevant ACS assessments and apply to work under the Gas Safe Register.
What will I learn?
- Core Gas Safety
- Combustion performance analysis
- Industry specific health and safety training
- Hot and cold water plumbing systems
- Unvented hot water systems
- Basic electrical appreciation
- Safe isolation
- Practical skills associated with installation, pipework
- Servicing and repair of boilers, fires and cookers
- On the job portfolio of verified work undertaken
- ACS Assessments.
The course will run on a Wednesday and intermittent Thursdays for assessment. A minimum of 60 days work experience is required (for portfolio completion).
- Training and assessment (all appliances if supported)
- Core assessment fee
- Appliance assessment fees
- Awarding body registration fees
- Training pack and materials.
Course costs £1950
£500 deposit will secure a place.
Payment plans available thereafter for the remaining balance of £1450.
This course is eligible for ITA Funding (Individual Training Account) and ELCAS Funding (Financial support for the Armed Forces).
Entry requirements (minimum)
- A recognised qualification in the mechanical services engineering sector (e.g. plumbing) or;
- A minimum of 2 National 4s/Standard Grades or SCQF Level 4 equivalent, preferably English and Mathematics or;
- National 4 ESOL or equivalent
Alternatively candidates must have relevant/appropriate experience that will help build the portfolio or have an entry assessment with one of our gas trainers.
Before enrolling candidates must have a self-sought mentor who is fully Core Gas Safety registered. A training plan needs to be in place with the mentor to enable documentation of each appliance worked on and assist with the completion of the portfolio.
*The College cannot provide candidates with a mentor or employer.
- A PC/Laptop
- Internet / WiFi
- Microsoft Teams – to interact with your class mates and the trainers
Access to the above is required to allow candidates to undertake elements of the course online. Office 365 Service is desirable to allow access to Microsoft Office Product Line (Word, PowerPoint etc) but is included in student account which you will have access to upon enrolment.
Jobs and further study
On successful completion of both college-based assessments and on the job portfolio, candidates will be able to undertake ACS assessments and thereafter be eligible to work under the Gas Safe Register.
Once qualified you could:
- Gain employment within the gas industry earning £30k+
- Operate your own business
- Install service and repair boilers, water heaters, fires, cookers and meters
- Secure work with letting agents/housing associations
- Carry out landlord gas safety certificates.
Candidates can also extend their range by undertaking additional appliances and extend their scope from natural gas to liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or changeover to non domestic gas (once on the gas safe register for 6+ months).