Access to Electronics - Level 6 (January)
- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 24 Jan 2022
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- Short Full-Time
- 18 weeks January to June
Applications are now closed.
As a STEM Assured College, we have a renowned reputation for engineering with cutting edge technology and staff to support this. If you are considering a career in engineering, and in a multi-disciplined electronic route, then this course is for you.
The access to electronic engineering course equips you with knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles required to work in the electronics sector.
Access to electronics will provide you with the potential to be an attractive prospect for companies when applying for an engineering apprenticeship. Furthermore, on successful completion will allow access into the HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering course.
What will I learn?
Electrical and Electronic Engineering theory, plus extensive hands on hardware and software work.
Electrical and Electronic Theory:
- Electrical/Electronic principles
- Computer networks and cyber security
- Industry 4.0
Practical hands on work:
- Software programming
- Electrical testing and measurement
- Fundamental electronics
- Electronic soldering and circuit assembly
- Build an engineering project
Entry requirements (minimum)
- A minimum of four National 5 qualifications including Mathematics and a Science subject, or
- We will consider your application if you have relevant work experience but no qualifications.
Employer and industry links
Glasgow Clyde College work in partnership with the majority of engineering employers and are seen as the engineering college of choice within the Greater Glasgow area. These partnerships provide opportunities for Industrial visits, student placements and industry talk’s as well as providing opportunities for students to progress into employment. Due to these excellent links the College is continually at the forefront of technological advances with continual investment in the state-of-the-art engineering facilities which will provide students with a world class learning experience.
Jobs and further study
If you successfully complete this course, you may progress to:
- HNC Electronics (Day release)
- HND Electronics and Engineering (Full time)
- Our HNC / D courses offer progression routes to Glasgow Caledonian University and Strathclyde University
- You will have the potential to apply for a modern apprenticeship within a variety of electronic industries.
When you apply:
- Entry to the course will be based upon a competitive review of the applications. You should provide detailed information on relevant life and employment experience within the personal statement, in addition to demonstrating a genuine interest in the subject. As a face to face interview is currently not possible your personal statement will be a very large factor in determining whether you are selected.
- Please list on your application any qualifications you have already obtained, and when, and where you obtained them.
- You will be invited to attend to the College from December onwards for an interview session based on your qualifications and/or experience. The interview session will involve a short one-to-one interview.
- A decision on whether you are successful or not will be based on your application and interview.
- Interview process should take no more than 30 minutes.
- All those who attend for interview will be informed of the department's decision 2 to 3 weeks after their interview date. This notification will be by email.
- There are only four options – an Unconditional offer; a Conditional offer; unsuccessful application or you will be notified that you have been added to a short waiting list.
Once an offer is received you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer of a place, you will be sent further information e.g. Student Funding, Joining Instructions, Kit List, Induction Date.