The SQA Forest Kindergarten course (SCQF Level 7) is designed for those working in Early Years and Education, including teachers and early years practitioners who work on the early level of Curriculum for Excellence. The award would suit those interested in enhancing outdoor play in nature. The course blends a mixture of classroom-based theory and discussion with outdoor practice in woodlands in Pollok Country Park. Following the three-day delivery, participants will complete a post-course portfolio (to be submitted by an agreed date).
What will I learn?
The Forest Kindergarten award focuses on three outcomes: The Place; The People and The Pedagogy.
By the course end, you will:
- understand the benefits of, and be able to state, ten or more benefits of frequent, regular visits to woods or nearby greenspace all year round.
- consider the woodland experience as a valuable opportunity to create a different context for play across all curriculum areas.
- be able to name at least ten different opportunities afforded by woodland experiences, which are not present in other contexts.
- receive advice and information about finding a wood and the preparations required.
- be able to name the steps required to find a wood, and outline the preparations required to set up a forest kindergarten.
- develop confidence and belief that practitioners have the skills and competencies to provide quality Forest Kindergarten sessions
All course materials and assessment portfolio is included.
The course can also be delivered in-house at your organisation's premises.
Please contact the Business Development Manager, Elaine Donnelly, 0141 272 3308, to discuss your organisation's training needs.
Entry requirements (minimum)
A qualification in Early Years or teaching is required
Jobs and further study
Participants may consider Forest School Leadership, on offer out with the college