- Cardonald Campus
- SCQF Level
- Start Date
- 23 Aug 2021
- Qualification Type
- Course Type
- 1 year (August to June)
Applications for this course are now closed.
NQ Adaptive Techniques for Beauty and Spa Therapists (Level 6) has been designed for qualified therapists wishing to enhance their skills and prospects within the Spa, Beauty or healthcare industry. Cancer and other life limiting conditions should not prevent any client from entering the spa or salon for treatment and the subjects within the course will equip you to safely include everyone as a client.
What will I learn?
This course comprises one SQA Level 6 unit in addition to Association of Beauty Therapy (ABT) accredited certificates.
- Adapted massage for people with cancer
- Adapted massage for people with life limiting conditions
- Adapted hand, foot and nail treatments for clients with cancer and life limiting conditions.
- SQA Lymphatic massage for aesthetic purposes
- Pregnancy massage
- Crystal Therapy
- Natural face lift massage
The following additional units will be covered at our Cardonald Campus:
- College Certificate: Myofascial release for pain management
- College Certificate : Deep tissue and advanced massage techniques
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- You must have NQ Spa with Complementary Therapies or HND Beauty Therapy or equivalent
- You must be highly committed to working with clients who have a range of medical conditions
- You will need a proven record of reliability, motivation and professionalism
- Internal candidates must have a reference from their personal development tutor
- External candidates must also have a reference from a current, relevant workplace.
- You must have, or be prepared to put in place, your own professional indemnity therapy insurance.
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
Jobs and further study
- Spa and salons
- Cruise ships
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies
- HNC/D Holistic Therapies (Level 7/8)
- Relevant degree level courses such as University of the Highlands and Islands - BSc (Hons) Integrative Healthcare and University of the West of Scotland - BSc (Hons) Professional Health Studies
- Various certified CPD courses in adaptive techniques
- Workplace opportunities (voluntary and paid) within health and care sector
Making an application
For courses starting in August, you can make up to two applications.
Applications are made to a course and a first choice of campus. If the course is oversubscribed at your first choice you will be automatically considered for alternative sites and may be made an offer without a further application.
When you apply:
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- Selection will be on Microsoft Teams by a short information session, followed by a one-to-one interview.
- You will be asked to prepare a three-minute presentation on the reasons you think adaptive techniques are important to the industry.
- You must submit your references and qualifications electronically via email to email@example.com
Interviews will take place between February and June.
You will be informed about the outcome 10 working days after your interview. This will be sent via email.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
If a place is unavailable at your campus of first choice, you may be offered a place at one of our other campuses and you must respond to this within the timescale above.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be emailed joining instructions, including funding information and your timetable, in July.