Access to HNC Football - Level 6 (January)
This Access to HNC Football course is designed to prepare you for entry to the industry at a basic level or as preparation for studying at HNC Football Level 7.
The emphasis is on developing your own football understanding and knowledge, with a view to moving on to HNC Football Coaching and Developing Sport. This course contains many practical elements for which you should ensure that you are physically fit.
What will I learn?
- Football (including NGB Coaching awards where appropriate)
- Developing leadership
- Basic sports coaching
- Coaching placements
- Coaching children
- Coaching youths
- Weekly coach education practical sessions
- Developing sports science understanding
- Core skills
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Fitness programmes
- Resistance training
- Circuit training
Please note that due to the impact of COVID-19, this course will be delivered via a blended learning approach - which may include limited face-to-face learning on campus combined with remote learning off-campus and digital learning approaches. If and when delivery is taking place on-campus, there will be reduced student numbers and physical distancing measures in place. If you require any support in learning digitally please inform the Course Leader or Student Support team.
Entry requirements (minimum)
- A current and active interest in football and coaching.
- Three passes at National 5, or equivalent, preferably one of which should be English.
- Any relevant level 5 or level 6 courses
- If you can demonstrate an active interest in football, sport or fitness, but don't meet the academic requirements, you can still be considered for this course
- If you do not meet the entry criteria for your chosen course, you may be offered an alternative course in the same subject area.
- Entry will be by interview and assignment to determine your suitability for this course.
Employer and industry links
We have links with:
- National Governing Bodies
- Glasgow Life Sport
- Local Authorities
- Celtic Football Club
Jobs and further study
This course is designed to help you move on to various SCQF Level 7 courses such as HNC Football.
Former and current students have moved in to jobs as football coaches with Celtic Soccer academy and Celtic Foundation and as Glasgow Life football coaches
You will receive an automated email confirming that we have received your application and will be in contact as per the following stages:
- If you meet the entry requirements, or have qualifications pending, you will be invited in for an interview
- When you attend the interview you must bring a copy of your qualifications
- The college’s admissions department will email you an electronic version of the reference form. Please print this and ask your referee to complete it before bringing it along to your interview along with a copy of your relevant proof of entry qualifications,
- If you are unable to bring these documents to the interview you will be unable to be offered an unconditional offer.
The interview will take the form of a group interview where you will be asked to discuss your interests and experience in sport and fitness. During the interview, you will hear about the course and then carry out a short written paper. Your qualifications and references will be checked followed by a group interview. You will have the chance to ask any questions about the course.
After you have attended your interview, you will be informed of the outcome of your interview by email within 1 – 2 weeks. The outcome would be one of the following:
- unconditional place – you have met all the entry requirements and your place is guaranteed. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your place.
- conditional place – your place is secured pending you meeting the entry requirements. This may mean achieving school or college qualification which you may not be able to provide us until August. You will be required to accept this offer to secure your conditional place
- waiting list – you have met all entry requirements, however, the course is full. If any spaces become available you may be contacted usually around about the course start date.
- unsuccessful – you have not met the entry requirements for this course and are advised to contact the College Student Advice Centre to discuss alternative options which may be available to you.
Once an offer is received, you must reply within 10 working days or risk losing your place.
Once you have accepted your offer, you will be sent out instructions about student funding. This will normally be sent out within three weeks of you accepting the place.